Philip Pearce established Shanagarry Pottery in 1952 and produced hand-thrown earthenware at a time when decorated bone china was commercial. The classic ‘Shanagarry range’ was developed in 1962 in collaboration with his son. In 1993 Phillip passed away and Stephen took over the pottery. A skilled team continue to make the classic tableware in earthenware.
The workshop continues to dig and process their own clay from the banks of the Blackwater River, Co. Cork. The earthenware is organic, containing no lead, cadmium or other non-organic ingredients. Each item is handcrafted using 18 individual traditional hand processes.